Final Essay (The Final Final Post)

Topic: The topic of my blog is gaming and diversity. Mainly taking a look at how much diversity there was in the gaming world, this could mean people working in the gaming industry, players, etc.

Number of Entries: 12

Through numerous blog posts, I have learned about the amount of diversity in the gaming scene. My knowledge was originally very limited because I don't have much interest in the people who play or make games. I mainly care about the games themselves and even then there are only a few that I enjoy. I don't go out of my way to seek new games that are unheard of or that are out of my comfort zone. This blog was an excuse to learn more about my community and understand what kinds of people play and make games. I learned that there is, in fact, a lot of diversity in the gaming community.

Every week when I had to write a new blog I would look at the popular gaming news sites to see what kind of new thing was in the gaming scene and how I could use that to learn more about diversity. Because of games such as Fortnite that rose up in popularity the likes that have never been seen before, it offered a new look into the gaming scene. I learned that all kinds of people play games, of all ages and of all races. This came as a surprise, not by the fact that the gaming scene was diverse but the amount of diversity that was actually in it. In a previous blog post I mentioned that if you take a look at the pro gaming scene for almost any game, you would see a majority of white players, based on the location of popularity in the game.

A game that I have a lot of knowledge of, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, as stated in my Bully Hunters blog, has almost no non-white players. There is a small group of South American players from Brazil that diversify the scene but that was about it. Before I made this blog to learn about the diverse community in the gaming scene I based off the race population off of the pro players. Looking back on it I have met a diverse group of people even though it doesn't match up the pro players. I'd say it's still a game with a majority white audience but I met a lot of Hispanic people online, sometimes they only spoke Spanish.

This blog has helped me understand that there truly is a diverse group of people playing video games that, while are not represented the best, still play games regardless. I have also learned that there are more features in games to increase representation such as different skill colors and an assortment of different backgrounds in video games.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to This Blog

Grand Theft Auto's Success

Gaming as a Tool for Shooters